Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

May 25, 2022

Do only those having excellent English proficiency, advanced degree and are willing to work abroad possess the opportunity to become a global worker?

Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

According to Mr. Richard B. Freeman – Herbert Ascherman Professor of Economics at Harvard University, the global workforce is a term that first appeared in the 1980s to describe the workforce in advanced countries, parts of Africa, and most of Latin America. However, the development of the workforce and the increase in job opportunities have redefined the concept of the global workforce in business language, required degrees, and workplace.

You may need to update the new definition of the global workforce if you still think global employees are those with English proficiency, have advanced degrees and work abroad.

English proficiency is a must to “globalize” yourself?

English still maintains its position as an important language to communicate globally. But the term global language has since been expanding to other languages including Chinese, Japanese, French, and German… due to the expansion of multinational conglomerates, and companies from these regions. There are 133 companies based in China, 53 companies based in Japan, 31 companies based in France, and 27 companies based in Germany that appeared in the 2020 Fortune Global 500 list.

According to Mr. Jack Nguyễn, Deputy CEO of Talentnet Corporation: “English is still “the key” for workers to join the international economy. Yet, those having proficiency in Chinese, Japanese, and French… also possess the same opportunities to be in the global workforce thanks to the diversity of multinational companies all over the world. Besides English, workers now have the chance to learn whichever language that they like and increase their competitive advantages in the global market”.

Mr. Jack Nguyễn also shared that the ability to communicate in another language apart from English can help workers easily connect work with others and meet new opportunities.

Foreign companies only accept those with advanced degrees?

Mr. Srinivasa Addepalli, Founder & CEO of GlobalGyan Academy shared that degrees are not the pre-requisite for multinational employers, as the knowledge from universities only enables workers to work in a certain field, but their skillsets are what empower them to solve various work challenges.

Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

Furthermore, major companies such as Google, Apple, Tesla, and Netflix… are also not using degrees as a requirement for high management levels. According to a survey of over 200 recruiters and hiring managers from Zety, teamwork, communication, time management, problem-solving, and creativity… are top skills employers look for from candidates in 2022. Additionally, cultural competence is another important skill that let employees effectively interact, communicate and work with people of various cultural backgrounds and easily handle various problems in a multinational workplace.

Must “global workers” work abroad?

Remote jobs are expected to take up 25% of all professional jobs in North America according to the research of Ladders. Microsoft is only accommodating 20% of its global employee population in physical work sites, while the other 80% are still working remotely. 

Workers are having more chances to become global workers, especially those who don’t want to relocate because of their families, with the rise of remote working. Thanks to the improvement in technologies, workers are enabled to work for multinational companies from other countries while still living in their home country.

Global Workforce And The Stories Untold

However, a multinational workplace while offering various advantages, yet poses a challenge of integration due to limited communication between employees. Mr. Jack Nguyễn shared that a flexible multinational workplace also requires workers to be ready to adapt to any changes. A global worker needs to hone his/her capability to fit in with the new working environment no matter remote or in the office. By adopting an open mindset, having flexibility in communication, and being friendly and supportive to colleagues, workers can quickly adapt to the modern working environment.

Source: VIR

Let's talk

Let's talk

Coming soon: Live Panel about Labour law & Social Insurance

Live Panel: Labour Inspection, Work Permit and Draft Law on Social Insurance (amended)

26th June, 2024 | Live on Quickom platform

Save your slot

Newsletter

Added to cart
CEO Chat: Aligning Tech & People for Sustainable Growth Package: Early bird View cart
Unable to add more items. Your cart can only proceed with 01 single item.
Your cart is empty. Please add new items to continue!